Friday, June 13, 2008

Life is a puzzle

Did you ever think about the way things work out? Have you ever wished for something and you got it but in a way you didn't expect? That is exactly the way things worked out with my little Ethan. I had wished for a way since my oldest son was born that I could be a stay at home mom. Due to finances I was never able to do this. And then Ethan came along and I was able to get my wish. Now I never thought that I would be the mom to a special needs child but everything has fit together so perfectly that it just feels right. First of all, shortly after I got the Down syndrome diagnosis, I got put on medical leave. While at the time I certainly did not wish for a child with Down syndrome, I did get my wish to stay home. Then after my 3 month maternity leave was up I was heartbroken to have to go back to work, only to find out that my position had not been held for me. So of course I was worried about finances when what shows up in our mailbox but a check for Ethan from social security. I also prayed that there was some way that my grandma, whom I am very close with could live closer to me. It was proving very difficult to find a job for her when I found out that Ethan qualifies for respite care. So my grandma is coming the beginning of July to work with him. Now she can be closer to all of her family and get the income that she needs to live off of. Also, today I picked up our zoo membership that Ethan got a scholarship for. Now I can take my kids to the zoo as much as I want. Something I could not afford to do before. I swear Ethan has opened up a whole new world to me. I have made so many great new friends but most importantly I have learned that life is like building an upside down puzzle. We don't know why the pieces fit together but when we flip it over we see the big picture.

No comments: