Saturday, July 12, 2008

Feeling a little sad.

Today my cousins baby came over to visit my grandma. She is a month younger than Ethan. I didn't realize just how much it would sting to see her doing so much more than Ethan. I know he is behind, I guess I just still had hopes that he would do everything on time. She is already rolling over and grabbing her toes, she is almost sitting up and grabbing things a lot better than Ethan, she is even holding her own bottle. I don't even know why I am comparing them. I know every baby is different and I love Ethan for who he is. I just have incredibly high hopes for him. He recently had his 6 month check up and the doctor put him at a 4-5 month level for his gross moter skills and a 6 month level for everything else. I feel so bad for him. I know he is a happy little guy and doesn't know that he is behind. My heart just aches because I want for him to be able to do everything that everyone else is doing. Anyway enough feeling sorry for myself. Next Saturday is our support group picnic. I am excited to see everyone but I am a little nervous.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I confess that I've avoided situations such as these at all costs. Micah is a few weeks older than Ethan and he still won't push up while on his tummy (maybe that will make you feel a bit better?). But I know how hard it is. And I do hope that we're both able to get past it and just appreciate our little guys' accomplishments and not compare them to others.

datri said...

{{hugs}} As the mom of a four year old with Down syndrome and autism, trust me, it does get easier. It just takes time. Kayla is very "delayed" as they say, and it took me up until a couple months ago to be able to see her around even other kids with Down syndrome. But now I've accepted her for her abilities and I'm focus on what she can do. And I can now celebrate other kids' successes, too. I don't know if you ever get over "comparing" your child, but it's not as disheartening as it used to be.